Olive oil has long been used for its amazing health benefits. Mayo Clinic explains the main reason olive oil is so healthy is because it is a monounsaturated fatty acid. In other words, olive oil is a “good” fat. It is different from the “bad” fats that come in the form of saturated and trans fats. Simply replacing butter with olive oil in recipes can make a world of a difference to your overall health.
Mayo Clinic does warn however, that olive oil and other healthy fats are high in calories. So like everything else, it should only be consumed in moderation. This does not mean you should not stock up on your favorite brand! Because not only can olive oil be consumed, but it can also be used topically. Continue reading to learn all the incredible health benefits of olive oil!
1. Dry skin. Ditch the expensive moisturizer and head to the oil aisle. The Health Site says massaging dry skin with olive oil can make your skin baby smooth. Olive oil is especially good for locking moisture in the elbows and knees.
2. Dandruff. A weekly olive oil hair mask can be just the treatment you need to rid your hair of dandruff. The Health Site recommends massaging olive oil into your scalp using a circular motion with your fingers. Leave the olive oil in your hair for 30 minutes and then wash using your regular, mild shampoo.
3. Acne. Oil will heal my acne? Yes! According to Healing From Home Remedies, an exfoliating scrub made from 3 tablespoons olive oil and 4 tablespoons salt will cleanse your pores while keeping your skin moist. It is best to use this home remedy 2- 3 times a week.
4. Snoring. Healing From Home Remedies claims that drinking a teaspoon of straight olive oil right before bed will lubricate a dry throat and prevent snoring. This method is also effective for a scratchy throat from the common cold.
5. Earache. Drop a bit of warm olive oil in the ear to relieve pain from an earache. This method is also effective for loosening stubborn ear wax, says Healing From Home Remedies.
6. Toothache. Oil pulling is one of the latest health trends. Wellness Mama explains the technique of swishing 1- 2 teaspoons of olive oil in your mouth for up to 20 minutes each morning can actually improve oral health. It can soothe a toothache, make your teeth whiter, and protect against both cavities and gingivitis.
7. Diaper rash. If your baby suffers from diaper rash, apply a mixture of 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon water on your baby’s bottom. Spirit of Health says your baby will feel better in no time.
8. Prevent gallstones. Gallstones are horribly painful crystalline masses that form in the gall bladder. Peas Health says studies show that daily consumption of olive oil can reduce the risk of gallstones. This is because olive oil reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood and gallbladder. It is also rich in antioxidants which prevent the gallstones from forming in the first place.
Olive oil is delicious and it’s good for you! Start using it on everything from dry elbows to aching teeth. And don’t forget to use it to cook, bake, and roast.