Flu season has descended, and people are dropping like flies at work and school. Everywhere you go, people are coughing and sneezing and blowing their noses. You grab a shopping cart and wonder if the last user had the flu and when you’re going to catch it.
You can’t live in a bubble, but you can help yourself recover quickly if you should catch the flu. Try these 7 tips to quickly kick this bug and regain your strength.
1. Hydrate: The flu takes its toll on the body. Whether it’s the type that has you running to the bathroom or has you coughing, you still need to keep your body well hydrated. If you’re throwing up or have diarrhea, WebMD recommends drinking sports drinks to replace electrolytes. Otherwise, sipping tea, soda or water is definitely in order.
2. Sip soup: Feeding your body is also important. A clear, broth soup is also recommended by WebMD. Chicken noodle soup is one of the best as it has a lot of vegetables that the body needs, yet it’s easy on the system.
3. Inhale steam: Keep the mucous flowing. Medical News Today recommends inhaling steam. You can use a vaporizer, steam up a bathroom or hold a cup of hot tea and inhale the vapors.
4. Rest: As your body is trying to fight the virus, it needs rest. Rest doesn’t mean you have to sleep all day, but being a couch potato during the day is perfectly fine. The Mayo Clinic says getting sleep when your body wants it is ideal.
5. Suck: When fighting a sore throat caused by the flu, suck. WebMD points out that sucking on anything will help ease a sore throat. First choice should be cough drops or throat lozenges, but hard candy will also work in a pinch.
6. Sweeten: WebMD recommends using buckwheat honey to help suppress a cough from the flu. Taking a spoonful of it will also help soothe a sore throat. You can even make a honey and lemon tea from 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey and 1/2 cup of hot water.
7. Gargle: Gargling with salt water has been around for a long time and helps with a sore throat. Medical News Today recommends using 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water, or you can get creative and try mixing lemon juice, honey and warm water and gargling.
The flu doesn’t have to keep you down. Help your body fight back by being wise in how you take care of yourself and by giving it the ammunition it needs to win the war.