Gallstones are masses of material that can block the bile duct and cause pain. In reality, WebMD points out that they aren’t really stones but are comprised of either cholesterol or bilirubin.
Unfortunately, once they are formed, the Mayo Clinic states that no home remedies for removing them actually exist. You may be able to prevent the formation of them in the first place, though, through these 8 simple steps.
1. Healthy weight: Maintaining a healthy weight is first up on the list. The Mayo Clinic states that being highly overweight increases your risks for forming gallstones.
2. No crash diets: In order to maintain that healthy weight, crash diets or low-calorie diets of less than 800 calories per day should be avoided. WebMD points out that these circumstances push the body to create gallstones.
3. No fasting or skipping meals: The Mayo Clinic says to eat your meals on a regular schedule as skipping meals or fasting increases your risks of forming gallstones.
4. Fiber: Eating plenty of raw fruits and vegetables, whole grains, bran, cooked dry beans, or any source of fiber may help keep gallstones from forming according to WebMD.
5. Lecithin: Taking in 500 mg to 1,000 mg of lecithin per day, whether through your diet or through supplements, is also recommended. Soybeans, oatmeal, eggs, chocolate, and peanuts are excellent sources of lecithin.
6. Exercise: Healthline recommends regular exercise to help prevent the formation of gallstones.
7. Olive oil: WebMD recommends taking two tablespoons of olive oil daily. Olive oil reduces cholesterol, and this may help reduce gallstone production.
8. Hormone replacement: Women who take excess estrogen or use birth control pills, according to Medical News Today, run an increased risk of forming gallstones. If gallstones run in your family, you may want to consider other options for help with birth control and menopause.
Just because gallstones run in your family history, you don’t have to throw up your hands and accept that they are inevitable. Through healthy diet choices and a healthy weight, you may be able to avoid ever having to deal with the pain and discomfort of gallstones