t is known that the regular exercising has an enormous impact on the emotional, physical and mental health. Even though it has numerous benefits, there are days when we cannot find time to do the workout.
Fortunately, some recent studies have shown that 15 minutes of walking on a daily basis can add 7 years to our life. A study examined 95 participants at the age of 30 – 60 years old, and has found out that those who did some exercise, like walking, noticed some anti-aging properties.
Therefore, if you do not have enough time to do the regular workout, take a 15-minute walking in order to gain the same benefits.
WALING EHNANCES HEART HEALTH – THE RELATION BETWEEN WALKING AND CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH
Harvard carried out three studies about the effects of walking on the cardiovascular health and found out:
• Nearly 10.269 male graduates at Harvard, walking nine miles per week was related to 22 % reduced death rate.
• Nearly 44.452 health professionals, walking half an hour a day was related to 18 % reduced risk of coronary artery disease.
• Nearly 72.488 female nurses, walking three hours per week was related to 35 % reduced risk of cardiovascular death and heart attack and 34 % reduced risk of stroke.
BENEFITS OF WALKING ON A DAILY BASIS
1. It improves cognitive performance
A study has found out that there is a connection between walking on a daily basis and cognitive performance in both children and adults.
2. It boosts up the mood
Do you know that walking on a daily basis can improve your mood? A 2016-study has found out that walking at least 20 minutes a day will increase your self-confidence and attentiveness.
Research has shown that regular walking modifies the nervous system so much that you will experience a decrease in hostility and anger.
3. It reduces high blood pressure
According to the studies, moderate walking can reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
4. It reduces pain and enhances mobility
An article published by the American Heart Association has shown that walking on a daily basis can improve mobility in people with PAD (peripheral artery disease).
5. It can treat or prevent diabetes
According to the Health study of the Harvard nurses, women who walked half an hour on a daily basis had reduced risk of diabetes by 30 %. It has also shown that they were able to lower abdominal fat, the main cause of diabetes.
6. It reduces the risk of cancer
The Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention carries out a study, which has shown that women, who walk 7 hours per week, had reduced the risk of breast cancer by 14 %. Moreover, the researchers at the University of California and Harvard University found out that men who walked 3 hours per week and suffered from prostate cancer reduces the risk of its reoccurrence.
7. It regulated digestion
Tara Alaichamy, a physical therapist at Cancer Treatment Center in America, stated that walking can help you to improve your gastric mobility. In fact, one of the things that a patient abdominal with surgery is needed to do is to go for a walk, as it utilizes abdominal muscles and core, thus stimulating movement in the gastrointestinal system.
8. It enhances bone health
Strengthening your bones by doing regular exercise will help you to avoid osteoporosis, fractures, and shrinkage of the spine. Bone density is created through exercise, such as: walking, so people who do regular exercise have healthier and stronger bones than people who do not.
9. It makes the body last longer
There are plenty of studies supporting the viewthat walking can reduce the risk of mortality at all. A recent study, using information from more than 334,000 people in the European Prospective Investigation, has found out that turning from inactive into a 20-minute active walk daily reduces the number of deaths by nearly 7 %.
10. It reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease
A study at the University of Virginia Health System has found out that men at the age of 71 – 93, who walked more than a 1/4 of a mile on a daily basis had half the incidence of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia compared to the men who walked less.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR WALKING – SOME WALKING TIPS
• Pick the right pace – in order to burn calories, you should walk about 3.5 miles an hour. In order to speed up, take smaller, but faster steps.
• Keep your posture right – make sure you look straight ahead with the chin parallel to the ground. Moreover, keep your shoulders down.
• Wear comfortable shoes – wear low-heeled, lightweight, cushioned and flexible shoes. Avoid stiff shoes which do not bend.
• Swing the arms – bend your arms at 90 degrees and pump the shoulders. It provides a workout for your upper part of the body and makes your pace quicker.
• Do an incline walk – in order to burn calories and fat, try walking up and down a cliff or a treadmill.
EASY WAYS TO WALK MORE
• Walk to work and to school
• When taking public transport, get off several bus stops before your home.
• Take the stairs rather than elevators
• After lunch, go for a walk instead of sitting at the same place.
• Park to the further spot so that you can walk to your destination.
• After dinner, go for a walk with your family or friends.
• Do walk and talk meetings at work
• Walk and listen to a podcast rather than sitting and listening to it.
• Take your dog for a walk
There are numerous benefits of walking on a daily basis, as it positively affects the emotional, physical and mental state.
Do not wait, grab your shoes and go for a walk right now!